Thursday, February 17, 2011

President Samuelson Post

President Samuelson explained the importance of accepting callings. Please describe how you plan to respond to different calls that will come to you over your lifetime.

With what President Samuelson said I will always accept the calls that are extended to me, but first I will make sure that the person extending the call knows my current circumstances.

President Samuelson identified the practice of being “too critical” of ourselves as being worse in effect than not being critical enough. How do your expectations of your own performance effect how you serve as a leader? How do you intend to avoid the practice of over self-criticism?

I feel like I expect pretty high things out of myself. Because I expect this of myself, I often expect it of others. This can be a problem because other people and I might have a different concept of what high expectations are. This makes it so I need to be a great communicator so that I can know what I can expect from others and what they can expect from me. I think that one way to avoid over self-criticism is to give myself a self-assessment of if I am or not. If I am then I should tone it down a bit, if then then keep going. I think it is important to ask other people if you are being too critical too. Sometimes friends and family can have an important outside opinion.

President Samuelson shared his method of organizing his plans to include, long term, midterm and short term. What approach do you currently use in organizing the work you are responsible for?

Right now, every week I have a sort of planning session where I lay out and write down what I would like to accomplish for the week. I right down new goals and review old goals for the weeks. I also have goals that I set for each semester. During my week I also have a planner where I right down my schedule and things that I need to get done in regard to work, school, and BYUSA.
Please describe your motive for serving in BYUSA. Has this motive changed or evolved as the year has gone by?
My original motive behind serving in BYUSA was to get involved in something. I wanted to get experience that would be useful to me and to meet new people and make new friends. These motives are still there but I have found that new ones drive me no as well. One of these is the chance to leave my marks here at BYU. I don’t want to be just another plain student who happened to fit it. I want to stand out and make a difference. I want to be involved in something that is bigger than myself and can help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment