Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Bro. Jones Post

Bro. Jones Post
1. Bro. Jones described his career path and an experience where he received a recommendation from the President of Dixie State College. This recommendation came because of Bro. Jones reputation as someone who would follow through on any assignments he received. Please describe what practices you will engage to make sure that you are considered someone who is reliable in completing projects.
I think that one of the things that make you reliable is just the ability to show up. When I was in high school I loved to play football. I wasn’t the best at it but I never missed practice. The coaches knew they could count on me to be there and ready to help the team have successful practice. This helped me complete the project of daily football practice and winning football games. Always being where I need to be will make it so I am able to complete projects that I am given.
2. Bro. Jones mentioned the opportunities that he has had to be an example for those who are not members of the church and has been an influence for changing opinions about Mormons. Please describe how you will consider the opportunity to make friends for the Church as you start and grow your career.
Some of my best and closest friends have been people who were not members of the church or have been very less active members. In my career I think it will be important to show those people who aren’t a part of our church that you are different and believe in different standards but you can still respect and love them for who they are and what they do. Another very important thing that I must remember is not to alienate myself from none members and try to be a part of the things that they do while still maintaining who I am.
3. Bro. Jones described his work on the Festival of the American West. One aspect that made that event successful was the inclusion of many different people and allowing them to shine with their talents. Please explain how this concept of involving others and allowing them to utilize and showcase their talents relate to our practice of leadership in BYUSA and in the future.
What we do at BYUSA is entirely volunteer. People come here to show that they have something they are good at and would like to share. If that isn’t something that we can provide for them, then they aren’t going to want to volunteer very badly. One example of this was the other day we had a new volunteer come in I needed help with one of my programs. I badly wanted to recruit him to one of my programs and tried to very hard. He wound up going to one of the other programs am I was a little angry because of my need for volunteers. After a little bit of time, and seeing him interact in the other program, I realized that if he had come to one of my programs he wouldn’t have fit in and been able to shine. He went where he was supposed to go. My being selfish almost caused us to lose a volunteer.

No comments:

Post a Comment