Select at least three of Bro. Cox's 12 career "hints" and report what you are currently doing to follow his recommendations. Be specific in describing how you are living each "hint."
The three hints that I would choose for myself would be leave it better than you found it, don't fear to contribute and invite others to do so, sprout deep roots. I feel like I am fulfilling these all with my service at BYUSA. Last semester I found myself far too complacent and lazy and wasn’t doing much with my live other than sitting through class. Nothing excited me and I didn’t care about anything. I even felt so bad that I started to think I was depressed for a little bit. Once I realized that everything that was happening was my own fault I decided I had to do something about it and get out of my miserable rut. That was when I walked into the office and Kari convinced me to apply for the ED position. I got the position and I have felt great this entire semester. One of the biggest reasons I wanted to have the position was to leave the university better than I found it. I wanted to leave my mark here and have it be something that might be remembered by others. Now I talk to more people in my classes and invite others to come into the office and serve. Finally I feel like I am sprouting deep roots in the fact that in the last month I have met probably more than 50 great people in BYUSA that I would never have met otherwise and it has and will greatly blessed me. Meeting these people has expanded my network drastically and helped me to make new friends.
Select one or more "hints" from Bro. Cox upon which you feel a need improve your focus. Be specific about your plans to better incorporate this "hint" into your life.
One of the things I think I need to work on is the hint, “If you don't love it, leave it.” Every day I have to make decision about my major, career, and other important life decisions. I feel like I have a hard time deciding if I am really passionate about something. I always have an element of indecision that I don’t like but is hard to get rid of. Last semester when I wasn’t enjoying school very much I realized that I should never do things that I don’t love and/or care about. If I do then I am just wasting time that I could be using to better myself in ways that I want to and not ways that someone else is making jump through hoops. My loves and passions need to come before the loves and passions of others especially when it might drastically affect my lifestyle and happiness level.
I love the title for your blog! I'm happy you decided to get involved. You always make me feel good.
ReplyDeleteVal